N. Branford dad charged in threat to coach

Rachael Scarborough King, Register Staff

NORTH BRANFORD — The father of a North Branford High School cheerleader has been charged with second-degree breach of peace after a confrontation involving the school’s cheerleading coach, police said.

Luigi Lavorgna, 43, of the Northford section, allegedly told cheerleading coach Jennifer Miller that he would beat her up and “send people after (her)” following a meeting involving Lavorgna’s 17-year-old daughter, Giovanna. Miller told police that Giovanna Lavorgna was upset about not being chosen as a captain for the cheerleading team. The captains are chosen by the cheerleaders.

Miller said she arranged a meeting between the team’s captains and Giovanna Lavorgna, a senior, Friday evening to discuss the situation, according to a police report. Giovanna was still upset after the meeting, Miller said, and as Miller and team captain Theresa Cox, 17, walked out of the high school past Luigi Lavorgna, he approached them and began yelling.

“I’m going to come down to Ansonia and find you,” Luigi Lavorgna allegedly said, using expletives to say he would hurt Miller, according to the police report. Miller, 23, lives in Naugatuck, police said.

After the incident, Miller and Cox went to the North Branford Police Department headquarters to file a complaint. Miller signed a statement saying Luigi Lavorgna’s behavior made her feel “intimidated and scared.” Cox also entered a sworn statement saying she heard him yelling at Miller.

A police sergeant called Lavorgna and asked him to come to the station. He told officers he did speak to Miller, but denied threatening her, police said. According to the report, he said he told her that “she can’t resolve anything because she just walks away from everything,” and she should “go back to Ansonia where she came from.”

A person answering the phone at Lavorgna’s house hung up Monday. Miller could not be reached for comment.

Officials charged Lavorgna with one count of second-degree breach of peace and he was released on a promise to appear in Superior Court in New Haven Oct. 23.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top